Saturday, May 2, 2009

[Cookie 011] Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies

Okay, Martha, you redeemed yourself from last week's debacle. I knew you could, especially when it comes to such a traditional cookie like the Chocolate Chip. You're alright in my book, Martha, but I'm still not going to forget last week (even though one of my friends called those her favorite cookies [she crazy]). But seriously, these Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies were really yummy, and just as their title suggests, super cakey too!

Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies, Ready to Go!

I guess it's pretty hard to go wrong with a good old chocolate chip cookie, but I really love how you have 3 or 4 recipes for them in your book, but each is made with a specific consistency. These were definitely cakey, so I can't wait to try out the thin and crispy ones, and the chewier ones as well. Because these were so cakey, I added some toasted walnuts (also because I have an over abundance of them due to a Trader Joe's mishap), and I think they really added to the texture of the cookie. Giving them a little crunch was a nice constrast!

Walnut PrepSugar, Sugar, Butter

Obviously, these were not difficult to make in the slightest. The recipe is pretty much the same as most other chocolate chip cookies, but there is less butter and brown sugar, which is what makes them fluffier and cakier. The recipe makes a bunch of really huge, hearty cookies that would probably hold up just swell if shipped to someone in need (ie. anyone/everyone). Or, you could just save the dough and eat it, because honestly, chocolate chip cookie dough is the king of all cookie doughs, and I think everyone knows it.

Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Batter

I also thought I share with you a little bit about my very own Kitchen Stadium. One the highlights of my world-class cooking/baking setup, is my cooling rack for all the cookies I make. Check it out!

Ghetto Cooling Rack

I AM USING MY DISH DRAIN TO DRY COOKIES.

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have shared that with the whole world, considering that several of the people who eat/rate my cookies read my blog as well, but I don't care. The point is, if I am baking 1-2 batches of cookies per week, I should probably invest in a decent cooling rack, as well as maybe a Silpat (ooh yes yes! I want!). I did, however, just come across a brand new, quite nice cookie sheet at the Salvation Army for a mere $3, which is pretty awesome.

Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies
Almost All Gone
Messy Fingers

Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 3 dozen

Ingredients
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (about 12 ounces) semisweet and/or milk chocolate chips
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter with both sugars; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; add the salt, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  2. Drop heaping tablespoon-size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
  3. Bake until cookies are golden around the edges and set in the center, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.
****

{End Results}
Baking Difficultly: 1/5
Ingredient Accessibility: 4.5/5
Tastiness: 4/5
Attractiveness: 3/5 (They look like they all do!)
Is it worth it?: Yes! Everyone likes these, and if you are particularly partial to cakey cookies, these are perfect

****

P.S. I have been having a lot of trouble commenting on any Blogger blogs, let alone my own, which is really annoying because I want to respond to your comments but I can't!! I'll work on it, but until then, sorry! It has been taken care of (at least for now)! I can respond to comments again!

17 comments:

Mom said...

I love the picture of the brown sugar. Those cookies look really good and who can resist chocolate chip cookies! Think I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Coco Bean said...

I have been meaning to try these, I'm glad they got a good review.

Chocolate Shavings said...

Those photos say it all ... the cookies look delicious!

Steph said...

Those pictures are gorgeous!!

Steph said...

By the way, you have a really cool blog! I love that you're baking your way through a book. I can't wait to hear your other reviews.

Anonymous said...

YUM! Those look great, I have been trying some new chocolate chip cookie recipes as well, can't get enough!

Anonymous said...

those look incredible!!!!! Oh man. I should not have come to this page because now i am so hungry and desirous for chocolate chip cookies......
I too love the picture of the brown sugar. and I love the sequence of pictures that go from cookie to partial cookie to a cookie in your stomach.

Claire

Lizzie said...

Thanks everyone!

gaga said...

ALL of my cookies come out cakey, no matter what recipe I try. I can't get them to be NOT cakey. Maybe if I try this recipe, mine won't be cakey, lol.

Felicia said...

I loved your pictures- they definitely were the motivation behind my trying out your recipe.
The cookies turned out wonderfully- my whole family devoured them in less than an hour.
Thank you!!

Lizzie said...

gaga-
maybe you don't put in enough butter or brown sugar when you make cookies? i dunno, but that's what this recipe says makes them so fluffy!

felicia-
glad they were such a hit! honestly, i couldn't imagine anyone in their right mind not liking these

meemers said...

I made them and they are delicious very cakey but a little on the salty side... anyone else find that? Maybe my taste buds were off this morning.

Anonymous said...

I made these and am eating one as I type this. They are cakey and good, but slightly salty. Very slightly.

Unknown said...

I love this recipe! I lost my recipe for fluffy, cakey cookies a long time ago and this is by far the closest to my original recipe! I will definitely be keeping this one. Thanks so much for sharing!

@meemers: mine were a bit salty as well but I think it worked perfectly with the massive amount of chocolate chips I put in them :)

J said...

Yeah, they are really really PERFECT! I love them, me and my best friend. When I just ate them... yummy... I'll make them again, and again, and again!
I post a seem recipe on my blog ().
Thanks, Lizzie! =)

Clare said...

Wow these look amazing! Definitely going to have to make these soon. I love fluffy, cakey cookies.

kay said...

Best choc. chip recipe ever. Will never use the bag recipe again.
didnt pull out my big mixer, just used my handheld, came out fantastic.