Thursday, September 17, 2009

Favorite Cookie [031-040]

DSC_0155.JPG

WHADDUP BIG 4-0!!! Yeah, that's right, forty entirely different types of cookies have landed pleasantly (or not-so-pleasantly) in my tummy since February of this very year. Not to toot my own horn, but I am quite impressed with my dedication. I'm great. Okay, sorry that's totally untrue and unnecessary, but still, I can't believe I've really stuck with this. And I show no sign of slowing down.

Round 4 was ripe with delicious recipes, that's for sure. My favorite? Read on...

DSC_0160.JPG

1st place (Blue Ribbon!): Prune Rugelach
Winner! True, these cookies are a little process heavy, and do take a bit of time and dedication, but Martha never asks too much of you. A definitely do-able recipe, these Rugelach are really delicious and rich, with a flaky and light crust. Plus, they look like something you could pick up in a tiny French patisserie right next to the pain au chocolate and tarte aux cerises! Excellence...

Dark Chocolate Cookies with Sour Cherries

These are not for the faint of heart or dainty of palette (?). Dark chocolate combined with sour cherries is my new favorite combination, but it is slightly lethal. These are a real powerhouse of flavor that will leave you wanting a glass of milk like a hungry infant. But man, if you're a chocolate lover, you will freak out. These are insanely good. Don't even get me started.

Cornmeal-Thyme Cookie Dough

For sure, these win for the most unusual flavoring in any cookie I've had for some time. Thyme, which is so rarely seen in sweets, works wonders in this soft (and ridiculously simple) recipe. Plus, the addition of cornmeal and currants make the cookie both texturally and visually fantastic. I was truly pleasantly surprised when I first tried these; who knew that such an unbelievable easy recipe could yield such unique cookies!

DSC_0185.JPG

Oh hey, these are pretty rockin' too! These are just one straight up delicious chocolate cookie. They are exactly what you expect, but fulfill everything expectation to its max. They are chocolatey enough for a chocolate lover, but not so dark to scare off those who aren't dark chocolate fans. Plus, they're rolled in sugar, so they look cute too! All around a great cookie that everyone will love.

Blueberry Bonanza Bars

Woof, these are ridiculously good, but they take a long while to make! Sure, you can totally ease up the amount of work by buying your own pre-made granola, but making your own is just so satisfying! I love these because they almost could pass for a breakfast cookie, which is really all I want in life. Cookies for breakfast. Plus, there are so many ways to switch up this recipe: change the flavor of jelly, add some different nuts and dried fruits to the granola, you name it. Awesome, no doubt.

Gingersnap-Raspberry Sandwiches

If you need a great Gingersnap recipe, make these and you'll be more than satisfied. However, if you want to sandwich them, maybe you should make them a little smaller because 2 of these guys and jelly is pretty much a full dessert. Plus, they're a total mess, but really who doesn't secretly love that?

Cranberry-Pistachio Cornmeal Biscotti

Flavor-wise, these were great cookies, but they didn't really turn out like biscotti for me. Plus, I found the recipe a little misleading, because it has you cut the dough into biscotti when it's only half baked, so it falls apart like no other! Pretty frustrating, but if you are already a biscotti expert, I'd totally recommend these ingredients. Also, they are very beautiful together, the pistachios and cranberries...good for Christmas gifts.

DSC_0137.JPG

Hmm, these were good, but a little too buttery in my humble opinion. Plus, they didn't hold their shape in the oven, so they spread out and looked a little sad. But I definitely didn't have trouble eating them, duh.

DSC_0135.JPG

Ah, the theoretical brownie. Yes, in theory these sounded awesome, but without any baking soda or powder they were oddly dense and gummy...and not in a delicious fudgy way. Maybe, if you're up for it, you could give these a go with a bit of baking soda and they'd work! Who knows...

Coconut Biscuits

10th place (Brown Ribbon!): Coconut Biscuits
Yeah, uh, right. Flour and water do not constitute cookie dough. Nuff said.

****

Ta-da! Okay, that's that. I've got 2 recipes just itching to be posted about, so keep your eyes out. I think I'll post the next one tomorrow...Until then, lovelies, keep bakin' bacon.

5 comments:

Kim said...

All the cookies look fantastic. I'm curious about the gingersnap with the raspberry jam, unique and different. 40 cookies down!! It's really something to be proud of. It's even crazier to think of all the cookies you've ate or tried.

Lizzie said...

thanks kim! i wonder how many types of cookies i've tried in my whole life...that's probably a very large number.

Nakiya @ Taste of Baltimore said...

Love your blog! I always look forward to your posts :)

Lizzie said...

Thank you nakiya!

fast cooker said...

Dark chocolate cookies are my favorite. Thanks for the recipe.